• Happy Monday, y’all!
• This – World’s First Virtual Store Opens. Cool.
• This – A Guide to Understanding Introverts. I am one, so this was AWESOME.
• This – The Intellectual Benefits of a Real Old-Fashioned Summer. I loved that post so much. I love Lori Pickert and Project-Based Homeschooling. It resonates in my soul. And I am going to do my darnedest to implement her ideas this year. Probably I will talk about this more later, so brace yourselves.
• Question: A homeschooling friend of mine and I are getting together on Tuesday with a mom who is thinking about homeschooling. Her kids are Early Elementary, like mine, which is why I got invited. Apparently I am supposed to exude Homeschool Awesomeness. I thought I’d take some catalogs, and maybe make a list of encouraging websites and blogs she could read.
So the question is: What website or blog or book do you think I should point her to? Is there anything that you recall as being particularly helpful when you first started out? Is there anything you think I should be sure to talk about? If I were to give her a list of say, Top 3 Curriculum Options, what would you tell me? Top Math? Top Spelling? Top All-in-One?
Lay it on me, peeps. We need more converts. Don’t be shy. I am actively looking for advice, so bring it on.
Thanks so much. I love all y’all, man.
Viva la Résistance!
**apologies to everyone who already saw all this brilliance on Twitter.
In May, I was so over school even though we weren’t done; I convinced myself to just, um, sort of QUIT, and that we’d pick back up in August and working the ends of all the books would serve as a review and probably that is the most brilliant idea ever.
Now it’s practically August, and I’m all, “crap. we didn’t finish last year.”
In fact, not only did we not finish last year, but I still haven’t bought anything for this year. The thought of it makes me want to take a nap. Is there a thing called Fourth Year Burnout or something? Because I have it.
I also managed to let the summer slip away without doing all those things I wanted to do with the kids – baking, wood shop, sewing, art…
Well, we have done some art, but mostly what it gave me was an epiphany that I suck at being patient while my kids mangle paint brushes and waste water color paper and grind Sculpey clay into the carpet. Because Hai, I suck.
Also? We just got a library card last weekend. What kind of poser homeschooler doesn’t have a library card?
Anyway. How are you all doing?
• I don’t have anything Random to day today, since I am busy with Royal Baby Watch.
• I would like to have a baby name pool, and I’d like to start the betting by putting money on Princess Bok Choy Moon Gazer.
• I would like Kate and William to have a girl. Also, I would like everyone to leave poor Kate alone. No one needs that many people obsessing with what is happening with their Nether Regions. It’s rude. I thought those Brits were more proper than to camp outside a lady’s private parts.
• All right, that’s it. Happy Monday, y’all!