• Here’s an interesting article – Back to School: A message to high school students who hate high school; Here is why you hate it.
I do not necessarily agree or disagree with the author; however, the longer I homeschool and reflect on my own learning at various things – cooking, blogging, knitting – I see that what you choose to learn is what you learn best. On the other hand, I see that one must be exposed to a wide variety of subjects to find what clicks. And of course, I believe strongly in the vigorous mental exercise that Math or Latin or Physics or Writing or Piano or whatever subject one wants to pursue passionately. Still, an interesting perspective.
• I signed up for a Money Saving Newsletter at the beginning of the year as part of my new Living on a Strict Budget plan. I thought maybe there would be ideas for clipping coupons or finding hidden ways to save. Last week’s suggestion? How to become a surrogate mother. Not that there’s anything wrong with surrogacy, but it’s not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of getting my hands on a few extra bucks.
• This article at Smithsonian Magazine is SO interesting. It’s about a family who fled deep into the Siberian tiaga when the Bolsheviks took over Russia. They lived completely isolated from any human contact for over 40 years.
• We took the kids to their very first live show yesterday (yep – I bought the tickets back in December for a show on Super Bowl Sunday), Phineas & Ferb Live! It was AWESOME! I think I was just as excited as they were. It was the funnest thing ever. If you have kids into Phineas & Ferb, I highly recommend it. It was also my first Groupon purchase, and it went off without a hitch.
• We were deemed acceptable to move into the house we wanted (thank goodness), so we are moving two weeks from today. I vaguely recall packing things a year and a half ago with the idea that Future Deb would take care of it. That’ll be fun.
• Happy Monday, y’all! Link up with your own Randomness below!