This is not going to be a post about the evils of television.
Or how we don’t have one and consider ourselves to be Clearly Superior Non-TV Watching People, even though we get Netflix and watch stuff all day long on youTube (a distinction without a difference, but whatever).
This is going to be a post about how much I love television.
I love it.
I limit it with the kids, and am really pretty strict about the quantity and content they are allowed to watch. But the minute they are in bed, my husband and I turn to each other and say Can We Watch TeeVee Now? We even eat our dinner on the couch like heathens. We were married for 11 years before our son came along, so some habits die hard. Eventually we will move to that Family Dinner paradigm and I will morph into June Cleaver. But not yet.
Let us begin:
I think cable has better programming than the networks. I actually enjoy the summertime cable shows more than the beginning of the fall season on the networks. Cable does not rely as heavily on innuendos and pushing the boundaries as much as network television does. There are actual storylines to be found. There is a lot of educational programming that is interesting and entertaining. The cable channels will give shows a fighting chance, and not cancel them after three episodes. Sometimes Certain People like those shows and don’t think they deserve to be cancelled just because they were on opposite American Idol (will that show just GO AWAY already).
- I love the Real Housewives. You might have previously thought I was joking, but I CANNOT get enough of that crap! It makes me feel so happy and superior. I shoo everyone outside, sink into the couch, and surrender to the lovely awfulness. Sometimes I yell, “OH MY GOSH YOU STUPID COW!” at the screen.
- I love The Closer. I have liked Kyra Sedgewick ever since she kicked that one guy in the crotch in that one movie. She is terrific. And Fritz is hot. The end.
- Also Burn Notice. Humorous, action-packed, and another hot guy. HOT.
- Not to mention – In Plain Sight, The Glades, White Collar, Covert Affair, Psych….all with storylines, humor, and hotties.
- Weekends are for getting my allowance of snark from The Soup and catching up on the latest Kardashian debacle.
So there you have it. I love teevee. I understand if you don’t want to be seen with me anymore…